View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question Tuners..

Arnold and I have talked briefly about Tuners for the new Bass and to date we have not made a decision. We have considered several of the current high end tuners as well as some custom made Gears.

I would like to hear what the members here think and view your suggestions. Please be prepared on some of your choices to be 'shot down'. This is because I don't want anything too commercial looking regardles of the quality or price. Some of the gears on the market are easy to install relatively and some are very difficult to install successfully. I am confident that Arnold can tackle any type of Gear installation new or old. Some are described as PITA (pain in the A--).

That being said, I want what will look best on a high class custom made modern/vintage Double bass. Installation difficulties are way down the list..

Your thoughts please?

P.S.: I will be kind to those I decline and let you down easy.

These Older Gears on or off plates look and work beautifully. Since all the makers of these gears died 100-150 years ago, I would have to strip them from an existing bass. These by the way are not the easiest kind to install.

The last pic are the ones on the original bass. They are not at all original to the bass being about a century or so old and German in origin. The others are English from the 19th century.