View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question Baker only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Linz View Post
Hey Ken. I think all three of those would go amazing with that bass. I was wondering if you were getting these gears from some one else other than Gallery Strings. I recently looked into trying to get one of those same sets for my bass and was told that the only set available any more was the Baker. Which I thought was a shame since they offered such great variety and quality. Now I'm to the point of having a friend of mine who is a master, clock restorer to come up with some designs of classic sets of tuners and make them ourselves. Any feedback on this would be great. I know Arnold and Nick Lloyd have some one custom making sets for them, but they are a little out of my price range. I'm sure whatever goes on there will just add to the greatness of that beauty. Best, Adam Linz
Well, I was not aware about that from Gallery. I guess Arnold will talk to him about it and get conformation. After talking to Arnold today, the one we will probably need are the Cole (#2) model Gears. The Bakers (#3) go thru both cheeks and need that screw. The other two don't but the Healey (#1) Gears have shorter shafts which may be a problem considering the width of the Pegbox sides matching the original bass. The Gears on the original have long shafts so that might be the way to go. That's IF we can get them. Let's just wait and see what Arnold comes up with.