View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 03:32 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb the Brand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dove View Post
I am considering an Andreas Morelli double bass and am wondering how to go about determining the age and value. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
The Name Andreas Morelli was made up by the US Importer Grossmann Music in Cleveland.

They were made by many makers and supplied to the seller here and then labeled here. Some say the early ones were made by Karl Herrmann but I don't buy that 100%. Josef Saumer also made some and are branded Saumer Morelli on the back. I have seen similar basses with Juzek labels that were made by Wilfer or other German shops on either side of the GErman/Czeh border.

So, Andreas Morelli is a USA made brand as no such person ever lived. Value depends on condition and sound. Most old repairs can be re-done better which effects the value and some repairs need to be re-done. Some are long lengths over 42" and that is a value issue as well.

A Morelli in good modern repair order from either of the makers might run 12-15k retail from what I have seen. This includes NO issues of bass bare or sound post or long mensur and are Orchestra ready basses in good condition. Some are worth much less and you have to double teh repair estimated as there is always more that is needed. If you show me good pics, I can tell you want I see.