Thread: Juzek NY ?
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Posting Member

Brian Casey is on a distinguished road

So this suject appears over on the Talkbass forum as well, and there I gave it an update that I'll paraphrase here, followed by a further request for elaboration:

I went to see this bass and it's got the Juzek label inside, but I can't determine a date. I like the way the bass feels and plays, except the fingerboard rattle, which is a result of the gap between the board and the neck - you can see through the gap to the other side...

So, my biggest concerns are that this instrument is beat. The scroll has been broken off at some point and was replaced with glue and screws. The body cracks have mostly been repaired, but the box still rattles, mostly sympathatic with the open D string and similar frequencies. The endpin is a little squirrelly and the whole thing will need a rebuild to become the bass I'd like to have. With a $3K asking price, it just seems like I'm getting into a can of worms I can't really afford, and even if it was restored to the best health it can have, I don't know that it will be solid enough for my tastes?

Is it possible that the damage of this bass' long life would be more than any repair can correct to bring it to the value of any other 100 year old Juzek? Am I going to be losing money?

Just wanting as many opinions as possible....

brian