View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb KSD Brooklyn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Shippey View Post
Dear Ken,
All KSD owners including myself are shouting for joy that a new company has been appointed to oversee the KSD line and KSD Brooklyn. Most of us were hoping that it would have been taken under your wing Ken with hands on management by your reputable self. I mistakenly, criticised you for the Problems obtaining one. Guess what this idiot has done, I loan it out to a friend who did not like my beautiful low action and adjusted and broke my truss rod. I humbly beg if you would be so kind as to let me know if I can get a replacement neck in the next few weeks
with embarassment.

Thanks Ken
Ok, listen, please! KSD means Ken Smith Design. Me, Ken Smith is not making any of these or assigning anything, period. The former Brooklyn Gear came up with the idea about 6 years ago and contacted me for design help hence the name 'KSD'. The product known as KSD Brooklyn is once again yet another company but this one is in Japan. Sleek Elite who also happens to be the Ken Smith distributor for Japan and all of Asia wanted to make a higher end KSD model and with my input and some supplies from our shop. They have 'rented' as well the name 'KSD'.

So, anything out there KSD is someone else hiring me for a fee for design and name use.

D'Andrea has made an agreement with Brooklyn Gear to take over the product that THEY (BG) were selling for the last 5 years. In the first 3-4 years the product was made in Korea. In the last year or so they have been coming from a shop in China which from what I have seen to date is doing a better job overall. I had nothing to do with assigning of anything to anyone. It's not my product and never was.

Need a new Neck for a Korean or China made KSD? Call D'Andrea. I have nothing to do with the making, selling or servicing of this or any of the products produced by Sleek Elite in Japan. I/we are just a designer for Hire in this case.

It would be like calling Eddie Bauer if your Ford Explorer broke down. Or better yet, prior to his passing, calling Les Paul if your Gibson Neck broke.

So, for anything KSD related, contact D'Andrea, please. This is their product now. I am sure they will be helpful when you call.