View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Lipkins Sartory copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
I visited Ken a couple of weeks ago and had a chance to try this bow, thanks to Ken's tremendous hospitality. It was revelatory.

The bow felt glued to the string, seemingly played itself, yet bounced effortlessly if I simply thought about it.

It was sort of like, "Oh, so that's what a bow is supposed to feel like."

This Lipkins Sartory copy is easily one of the nicest bows I have ever played. Thanks, again, Ken, for that eye-opening experience.

I am on Sue Lipkins' wait-list, now. I am sure that it will be worth the patience.
Thanks and yes, I love the bow. Bows are made from wood, very special wood. Each bow from the same maker, same model will vary due to the differences in the wood how ever slight they may be. This Bow I believe is the first and last she made of this model. Sue prefers to make 'her' bows 'based' on the masters rather than 'copies' which in some cases can pass for the original with the correct markings. Her name is on the bow but having owned and used a real Sartory and a great one at that for about 15 years in the first half of my life, I can hardly tell the difference. This bow feels like it's part of my hand, just like my Sartory did when I had it.

Sue will make for you what you ask for in most cases. I have had 7 of her bows. This was the only one that was made specifically for me. Having played several of her models she offered to make me something different knowing that it was the Sartory that I lived with for most of my professional career in NY. I can't say enough good things about her bows or her dedication in making the best fit for you and your bow.