View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Posting Member

Scott Pope is on a distinguished road

I just got a set of used Weichs for my CCB, the E & A from one source and the D & G from another. Total outlay: @$80 for a set in great condition. On closer inspection, I believe these are the S42 set, which will play just a tad lighter than the 3885 set on a 3/4 scale bass, according to TI's published tension specs.

No, I don't have substantial experience on DB, but oh, I like the way these feel and sound. I do have 35+ years "on the slab," and on tuba, so I'm used to laying down what needs to be laid down to support the ensemble.

Even though I tinker mechanically with many of my other instruments, and have worked on the setup on my CCB as much as a learning experience so I will know the ins and outs of how DB really works, I don't see myself getting into the string du jour race. But I didn't on tuba mouthpieces, either, and if you go on such forums as TubeNet, for tuba players it's mouthpieces as it is strings for DB players. I just contacted Matt Walters at Dillon Music, discussed my playing, and he recommended a mouthpiece. Vladimir adjusted the rim on the lathe to suit my embouchure, and I haven't looked back. I have a couple others for specific purposes, like outdoors or high tessitura, but one basic mouthpiece.

I only relay this seemingly non-related anecdote to emphasize the point that for a guy starting out, instead of spending way too much $$ on any aspect, whether strings, rosins, etc., time is usually better spent getting to know a professional, or rather the time for him to get to know you, so he/she can make a recommendation from experience that will save massive amounts of time and money in the long run.