View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up on line now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Today I had the pleasure of playing a beautiful 18th-19th Century Italian Bass. It was formerly played by the Principal of the Hong Kong Philharmonic. He retired from music and sold his Bass several years ago. He has 4 young daughters that all play Violin and have each won many competitions to perform with various Orchestras as soloists. I have had the pleasure of playing behind each of his daughters in the last 3 years in one of the Orchestras I play in. At the last concert with his youngest which was on the day of the Homer Mensch Gagliano auction, I went up to him on the way out and asked if he had known Homer. In the conversation he told me who now owns his Italian Bass which was once called a Maggini but is not however. Today that person walked in here by invitation and showed me the Bass. We got to compare it to my Storioni, Hart, Martini and Gilkes all side by side.

The current owner allowed me to photograph and measure his Bass so that I can present it on my Double Bass Page for display purposes only. It will be up in a few days when we find the time to get the page made. I will post some pics here as well in the Italian Bass section.
Ok, that great Italian Bass I mentioned is not up and listed..