View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road
Default Japanese paper (Washi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Levi View Post
Tell me more ???

I've seen brown cardboard box type paper being used before but have never been able to find out much about it .
Well, I don't know a lot about it either, but I've been meaning to track down some samples and whatnot. If anybody has looked into it or has a suggestion of what to look at/for specifically, I'd be happy to hear it - I have two basses with super thin ribs that need something done with them, and I plan to try this on one or both.

But basically there's a whole spectrum of high quality Japanese papers out there that people use for various art/craft purposes; a lot of them are made by hand (to some degree) and should be of conservation-type quality. The fiber used is very specific, high quality, single source and minimally processed, and the papers come in every thickness, texture etc. that you can imagine. As far as I know, this is where you want to look to find the strongest/lightest very best quality paper - and if it is like Japanese tools, I don't doubt it!

So in theory you should be able to find an ideal paper for this sort of purpose - it makes sense to me, I mean, after all what is paper but an extremely uniform manufactured wood product, yes?