View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Jargar's, again..

Hi, I have discussed these strings in the past and recently bought a set to try on one of the basses when I get the chance. I just finished putting them on my Hart bass which had some old Belcanto's on it. As I remember, the Jargar strings have heavier bottom strings as compared to some other brands, especially the E's. The Belcanto E/C was about .110 and the Jargar (medium/blue) E/C measured about .115. I had to re-notch my top nut on the extension to widen and lower it about a mm.

They Bow smooth and sound rich. When I first played the Passione's I may have commented that they reminded me of the Jargar's smoothness. The Gauges however are quite a bit beefier. I have used only the Medium and Heavy Jargars. I think I should also try the lighter/green silked set as well one of these days. Almost every brand I have tried, the E/C is usually a bit beefier in gauge than the regular non-extension E string.

I have 2 more rehearsals this week and then a concert so I think I will bring the Hart with this new set of Jargars on it. It's all Opera excerpts and some overtures. Last night was the first rehearsal and I brought my Neuner bass which I used Sunday as well on a different Orchestra gig. The Neuner has Flexocor 92 Starks on it. The bass itself is punchy, loud and deep. Almost too non-romantic for this Opera stuff. I am sure I can tame the Neuner with a different string but with some much booommm, pluummee type pizz work, I need more of that wide spread 'butterball' sound and less German edge.

Do any of you guys have experience with Jargars? Any of the gauges, with or without extensions? Your comments are welcomed.