View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua phelps View Post
What does a set of these go for?
I will have to look it up but, they are less expensive than most strings. On some basses, they will sound a bit 'thuddy' and with little sustain if any for pizz. On other basses, they might just be the perfect match. On my Hart, they are smooth on the top and strong on the bottom, especially the E string. This is an Orchestral string mainly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua phelps View Post
Also, what is your favorite rosin ken?
For the most part I have been using Kolstein all weather rosin for a several years now. I have also used the new Oak as well as Nyman's Swedish rosin. Those 3 seem to work very similar. When I was selling a lot of the KSB bows I would offer a cake of Kolstein's with it because I was able to get them fairly cheap by the dozen from a wholesaler. Now I have a few cakes of Nymen's in the cabinet to use when the Kolstein runs out as I have one cake at home for practice and one in my bag for gigs. In the shop I have a small cake of Nymen's left that I picked up at the ISB in 2009. It was left on my Bow table and never claimed. I think it works as good as the Kolstein's and I don't have to buy a dozen or two to get a good price on them.