View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Posting Member

Eduardo Barbosa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
You play mainly with bow and use Spiros? What is it you look for in your sound?

In USA, very few players use Spirocore for Orchestra. Some use the Solo set for solo/orchestra tuning back and forth. The norm is Flexocors and Belcantos. Other Pirastro brands and some other bowing strings. When you can, go see a professional orchestra and try to see which sets the bass players are using. Also note how the play and dig in as well with the bow when the music requires. A string is usually matched to a bass for a player. I used Spiros many years ago but on a very old smooth deep dark Italian bass. One a brighter bass, it woukd just sound too harsh with the bow in comparison.

OT,
A little while back I acquired a Upton Hawkes and after trying EP's regular and lights, Obligatos, Helicores hybrids and orchestra, and Zyex, I ended up settling on Spiros medium gauge for Orchestra. Go figure?!... They sound great on that bass for whatever strange reason.
BTW, I did get them on ebay for $27! the seller said they were anywhere between 6 to 10 years old. still in great shape, but they've lost some of the nasal qualities and harshness.
Also, I must say that every once in a while I get an email from an orchestra player asking if I have an old set of spiros, being that they know I play mainly jazz!