View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb spiros..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Barbosa View Post
OT,
A little while back I acquired a Upton Hawkes and after trying EP's regular and lights, Obligatos, Helicores hybrids and orchestra, and Zyex, I ended up settling on Spiros medium gauge for Orchestra. Go figure?!... They sound great on that bass for whatever strange reason.
BTW, I did get them on ebay for $27! the seller said they were anywhere between 6 to 10 years old. still in great shape, but they've lost some of the nasal qualities and harshness.
Also, I must say that every once in a while I get an email from an orchestra player asking if I have an old set of spiros, being that they know I play mainly jazz!
Ok, so drifting off topic here but good info..

Years and years ago talking to another bassist he tells me he puts on new Spiros every 6 months (this was back in the 70s). I said "really, why?" He replied, "because I like that fresh sound", or something to that effect. My thoughts then (any maybe now IF the formula is exactly the same as then) was that in 6 months they are just starting to break in for me. Maybe I should of just used his old strings. I have had 20 year old Spiros on some basses and they work fairly good on some basses. Buy a new set and OUCH, turn off the chain saw.... ...