View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 12:16 AM
Junior Posting Member

Peter Weil is on a distinguished road

Thanks for filling in those details, Ken. I considered getting a shorter neck, too, but decided that it's not worth the trouble (and the $$). Yes, an Eb neck is what mine is, too. I realize all of the stamps and labeling contain fictitious information (except maybe the year?). That's why I like reading what people like you have to say about them. I kick myself for not asking Traeger about the previous owner(s). I suppose it's a good bet it was used in an orchestral situation, but that's just a guess. If it was a jazz bassist, he would have had a helluva time walking at bebop-type tempos unless he was a monster himself. ;-)

As an aside, Arnold was my first (electric) bass teacher when I was in high school. So it's cool to read about the great luthier work he does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
http://www.kensmithbasses.com/double...lli/index.html (link corrected, post restoration)

Hi, 3 things here to mention.

1, the Ebony up at the neck heel 'platform' is from the restoration where I had the block cut down to shorten the string length. The neck was long and an, 'Eb' neck. To graft in a new shorter 'D' neck, that would have raised the cost a few thousand $$ so we left it as-is. Arnold Schnitzer did the restoration.

2, Your bass has the stamp inside as well as the Morelli label. The labels were put in here when the bass was sold from the importer but the stamp I am not sure where it was branded, USA or Germany. Both names are Fictitious. Usually, only the Violin cornered basses were branded and/or labeled Morelli, not the Gamba models. Your bass has both names inside which clearly connects the Importer as selling both name. Very interesting.
2, I knew Fantoni very well. I met him when I was in HS and hung out in both his 42nd st. shops, 27 and 37 where Paul Biase took over the business. In a way, Fantoni was a mentor to me so I enjoy hearing his name mentioned.