View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 08:40 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Pfretzschner & Morelli

A few years ago I took in trade a large 7/8ths Bass with a Morelli Label. I had seen at least one other Morelli back in the '70s but it was a completely different Bass. Soon after acquiring this Bass I started my study on them and found quite a few identical Basses labeled G.A. Pfretzschner. I also found a few others that were labeled Morelli as well. In searching my violin makers books I would learn that G.A. Pfretzschner and all the other Pfretzschners were Bow makers exclusively but with one exception. There were 3 generations of C.F. Pfretzschners recorded in the books from the late 18th century and into the early 20th century as well. They are known as C.F. I, II and III. I believe that the shop of C.F. III made many instruments for export into USA to distributors and at least two labels were used. Andreas Morelli and G.A. Pfretzschner.

I have also seen two other Morelli type Basses that I know for a fact were made by either Karl Herrmann being the better quality Morelli Basses and Saumer Morelli being the last shop to produce them in Germany for the US market.

Here's the webpage on my fully restored Morelli which has come and gone. By the way, this was a machined carved Bass with an integral Bass Bar. When the restoration was completed, it sounded like an Italian Bass. Arnold noted how good the wood was that was used in the Bass so re-graduation was possible due to the over thick Top and Back.

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/double...lli/index.html

For other Shop type Basses, read about Juzek/Wilfer here..

Last edited by Ken Smith; 08-11-2007 at 11:54 AM. Reason: link added