View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool working on..

Well, at the last Concert of the season I received the schedule for the fall-spring season '09-'10. The first concert is Wagner's Flying Dutchman of which I have music for on my B.Zimmerman CD and Sibelius 2/Dmaj. which I have as well. Also on the program is Ravel Pno. Concerto in G maj but I don't have it so 2 out of 3 is fine for now.

I also printed 2 of 3 from the 2nd concert in November, the 1st being October. We only get the music a month in advance at most or given out at the concert for the next one so sometimes it's just a few weeks.

With having some of my own music at lease I get to work on it in advance at my leisure. Finding U-Tube clips of any of this being performed is a huge plus. I can see the basses sometimes how and where they are playing some of the notes and in advance see the conductor and tempo as well. The Sibelius was something I was totally unfamiliar with but found that in the 6/4 sections (or 4/4) the tempo was at about 72, dotted half conducted in 2. This was a huge plus for my working on it in advance as the conductor will not give out his notes or tempos until the music is distributed a few weeks prior.