View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Wow you guys are all doing some fun stuff! Dave, that Genesis album is one of my all-time faves. What a lovely thing to do, play the entire album on stage! Craig, that saw is an instant charmer. I am a sucker for more os less useful old gadgets myself, but completely without any practical knowledge about them! Ken, that Sibelius was one of the orchestral experiences that made me set my mind on becoming a classical player. And Ravel is always wonderful. Isn't it the second movement that starts off like a pretty simple waltz but slowly evolves into some stellar beauty? Calvin, playing Proto must be a lot of fun. For unknown reasons, he is rather unknown in Scandinavia. Best of luck with it! Richard, I'm happy to hear that you find the time to enjoy yourself and your gentle giant, in between the cold morning drives to a cold school!

Myself, in a couple of weeks I'll go to an eight-day chamber orchestra/chamber music course with lots of masterclasses. The bass teacher is one of the best virtuosos in Scandinavia, if not in the world! I still haven't heard anyone else play so beautifully that you actually forget that you're hearing a bass player for all the music that comes flooding out. The rep for the course is massive, so I guess I'll have to defy the hot weather and start sweating with the bass. Also, I am trying out that super-expensive "Metall-Kolophonium" rosin with gold and meteor iron and whatnot.