View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Yes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Orraca View Post
Can they be adjusted and what effects in the sound do you get if it get adjusted?
Yes, they can be adjusted. You can raise or lower them. You may find that you may or may not need to make any adjustment.

However, I find at times that the level of output, from string to string, can be slightly different from the 1st. to the 24th. frets of those strings/notes played.

For example: Say you start on your B string (for a 5-string bass) and play a scale starting with the note C at the 1st. fret of your B string. Play the scale as far up the neck as you like. Then, go to your E string and start with the note F at the 1st. fret of your E string and play the scale as far up the neck as you like.

Do this with each string on your bass. Be consistent with the attack used on each string as you play! While you do this LISTEN carefully for strengths and/or weaknesses of the output level of each string. If you don't hear any, leave it alone.

If you do hear a slight difference, for example, lets say the D string was on the weaker side of the output level you heard. Then you could adjust the individual D-string pole pieces upward (very slight adjustment - say 1/4 to 1/2 turn: Counter-clockwise to raise). By doing this you are moving the magnetic field of the P/U closer to the string being played. You then should hear the output level strength of the D string come closer in-line to the output levels of the other string/notes played.

Conversely, if you find the string/note played is slightly stronger up and down the neck, relative to other strings played, then a downward adjustment (i.e. clockwise to lower) for that strings pole piece can be made. NOTE: Do not attempt to force any pole piece downward beyond where it is seated from the factory (i.e. flush to the top of the P/U).

The results of these adjustments, while slight as they may be, help me achieve a near-perfect to perfect string level output balance up and down the neck. Again, only slight adjustments are necessary to achieve this "dialing-in" (as I call it) procedure.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 07-09-2009 at 03:36 PM.