View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Posting Member

Ruben E garcia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne holmes View Post
Ruben, I just don't know where to start...I agree with number 4.

I totally
disagree with number 3---I speak for only me when I say that there is no bass that is "un-reparable" if most of the pieces are there and they have been kept dry.

Number 5---if you meant to say glue-it's too early for that, but use mostly hide glue-if you mean clue, then I would hold off on doing anything.

Number 2- are you wanting to make a bass or a guitar? If you want to make a bass, any learning experience will help. To get to the point where you are ready to make a double bass, you will , most likely, have to spend a small fortune in time and money.

Number 1- books can be helpful, but a mentor would be good too.

When I think of what it takes to go from nothing to building a double bass, I sorta feel like I'm having the early signs of a stroke. I think most of us start out changing our own bridge and develope a passion for working on instruments. I'll just share my journey since I am close to the point of making my first bass. I began by changing my strings, bridge, etc over 20 years ago. Then if one of my double basses needed something I would find a book and fix it myself.

About 5 years ago, I got a bass from a luthier who had restored many basses and cellos. He became my mentor in repair and restoration. With what he taught me, the use of several books, and with the help of anyone who would answer my questions, I restored around 15 instruments in the last five years and have set-up and repaired scores of basses as part of my business. I would recommend that you start with a restoration, one that is not too complicated so it won't discourage you.

In the restoration process you will learn about the parts of a bass, the tools needed,etc. After you successfully complete the restoration, then maybe do another one. Eventually, you will work up to trying your hand at making one. I think that my experience is somewhat like most who end up making basses. For me, it has been a timely, and expensive venture, but I love it.

I hope that you make the right decisions along the way. You are starting out correctly by asking a lot of questions and this forum will, I believe, help you to stay on a safe course.

Fair winds and following Seas.
So my plan stink hum?

That's a wise advise, I really haven’t tried to find out a mentor... if u were a little closer I will stop by to bug u a little , but I can give u a call for advise, I really can use some.
On the TB forum one guy suggest a similar approach, buy a beat up ply DB, made a carve top and replace it… that could be a good start, I will have the chance to see first hand how is build, I will do the setup… it may take me closer to a build, I may actually improve the instrument