View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Charniga View Post
Good morning,

I've registered as a member expressly because I recently bought a very similar bass -- same varnish, same slender C-bouts, same FF-holes, same contour at the bottom back of the pegbox. My bass is also unlabeled.

The only difference I can see is that my bass has two-on-a-plate machines, rather than the individual machines on the bass Mr. Larouche posted.

If appropriate, I would be happy to start my own thread with measurements and (terrible) photos.

Mr. Smith, may I ask you to elaborate on your theory this is a Hungarian bass? I frankly have no idea what it is, but it seems to bear little resemblance to basses described as Hungarian by Nahrmann and others.

Many thanks in advance, and sorry for butting into someone else's thread.
I will be moving this thread to the German School section. If your bass was sold as French to you then here would be fine. If not, starting your own thread is just as good.

On Hungarian, I have no clue what the others describe as Hungarian but the Hungarians are great copyists. I have seen all kinds of basses and models that when the dust settles, I see one or two things that tell me it's Hungarian.

This scroll is cut with the center line raised and the wood between the edges is flat rather than curved from point to point;

This bass here which is Hungarian and the underside of the scroll which has no wear from being protected is flat between the points as well. This is something I have seen on several Hungarian basses and never anywhere else.