View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Charniga View Post
Very interesting, thank you for the insight. I'm not exactly sure whether the scroll curves on either side of the center line, but I'm fairly certain it does.

It was sold to me as a fully carved 3/4, provenance unknown. Considering the price I have no reason to complain, but a reasonably accurate description and general value would be helpful when I insure it.

I will start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum. Thanks again.
If the bass is sold by any level of dealer, you can be sure he knows what it is Not! That is like a disclaimer to cover ones butt. Back a few decades ago when basses were sold, it always had some kind of origin or age but not always accurate. The Hungarian game was not quite playing over here yet. Rarely did we ever see bass from inland Bohemian, Austria or Hungary. Mostly German or German/Czech border basses were about the furthest east we would see.

Now, we have new terms on the market like European, or possibly this or that.

I deal in basses that come from all over and often we see basses that have a mixture of parts or the bass was altered. Maybe the top or back or scroll is old and the rest of the bass made new and antiqued around that. As long as the bass is sold honestly as far as origin and age goes, an agreed upon fair price is in order.

Not all great basses are famous Italians!