View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool hummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
The current "standard" for a D neck is for the first finger to encounter D on the G string at the heel when said first finger is directly across from the thumb. I also was taught the Simandl "claw" where your second finger is across from the thumb, but current teaching seems to have standardized a more relaxed left hand technique where the thumb is either across from the first finger or hanging back some toward the nut. I have one client who uses the Streicher method and whenever he plays one of my necks he swears it's an Eb neck! His bass has a really flat D.

What it all boils down to is setting up the heel so the player is comfortable. Good players get used to anything, and many don't even know what "D neck" means. When necking a bass to be marketed, I believe it should be set up to the current "standard". Wood can always be removed, but you can't put it back.
This is what I thought but I don't agree on the method change of how to measure a D. In my opinion Arnold, and you know first hand how I personally feel about it, there is 'nothing' 'relaxed' about stretching to play across the 5th Position (Simandl 'Claw' V) with the first finger on the F of the A-string and the 4th finger playing the octave F on the G-string with all the other notes in between on the D-string etc. Playing Jazz often crosses the upper strings more often when playing octave lines and riffs while in Classical playing it is done less often while moving around. Playing the 5th position on the E string is a real strain on the E-string with a D-Neck as they call it now.

I am aware of the various modern styles of playing today mainly incorporated for Solo playing but having played in Orchestra now for the last 5 years, I haven't seen the need for me to personally change anything. I played a fine old Italian Bass one day in Philly as it was brought off stage (Philly Orch. Bass) and noticed two things. This Orchestra veteran's Bass had not only an Eb neck but a string length near 42.5-43". I mentioned about the Hell being cut way down and the length being long. His reaction, "I like it that way"!.. So, I guess I am not alone with the so called Eb Neck preference. My Hart has it but my Gilkes is sort of in between.

I have been practicing with the Batchelder since I wrote this thread and find that I prefer the Eb Neck (as it's called now) for all types of playing, Orchestra and Jazz..