View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 01:05 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb 4 years later..

Well, 4 years later, the Hart with the "Eb" neck is still my favorite all time comfortable Neck heel.

I was just reading Elgar's 2nd book, "More about the Double Bass" (c. 1960's) and in the section about various items to look for when shopping for a bass he mentions the neck heel.

Now, this is England c.1960 but the playing style is from the first half+ of the 20th century. He mentions that you need to play the D comfortably with the thumb on the curve of the heel with the middle finger (2nd?) opposite the thumb and playing the D with the first finger.

Elgar is describing what I have been talking about. The regular playing position with the 2nd finger opposite the thumb (or close to it) and the first finger behind the thumb (not parallel to it) while playing the D.

Now, depending on the size of your fingers and how you play, some people refer to the modern "D" neck as an actual Db neck. Some basses I have had restored with new "D" necks were not as easy for me to play as they were before. So, I just thought I would mention that half a century ago, Elgar put this "D" neck business in writing and I have a copy of the book since High School.