Thread: My Martini...
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool My Martini...

I bought this Bass about 3 1/2 years ago. In that time it has been out for some repairs, modifications and even out on trial or consignment several times between players and 2 shops. Although I have played a few concerts with the Bass, having several others have allowed me some choices when the Martini was actually here with me but often passed up for either one of my other Italian or English Basses or a less valuable Bass for safety concerns as far as the Bass goes and type of gig. In the 3 1/2 years I have owned this Bass and the approximate 40 or so Orchestra Concerts I have done in that time I don't think the Martini has even been on 10 of them.

Some Basses I have used only a few times to test them out of course but this Martini is about the most comfortable playable Bass I have as far as fitting me in every way. Having about 4-6 high grade Basses at my disposal at any given time does make it difficult to choose 'who's going out tonight' kinda thing..lol

Recently I have noticed that the Martini has something a little special to me that my English Basses do not have. That is this extra smooth silky Italian tone with sweetness oozing for each note and a singing low midrange that cuts through all the sounds around me. It is not the loudest Bass I have. Not the deepest Bass I have. Not the most expensive Bass I have and it is definitely not the prettiest Bass I have by far. It just has this sound and feel that I seem to prefer. Most people shopping or comparing Basses have often passed on the Martini as just a modern Italian Bass and nothing more. I can tell you one thing though that usually happens. Other players in my section look over and ask 'what is that Bass?', or 'where is the Martini tonight?'.

Well, cutting to the chase here, I made another thread recently about a wolf tone and a Neck problem that I had recently connected to that but also a problem that needs to be fixed permanently. This includes a Neck graft which the Bass has needed for way longer than I have owned the Bass. There are a few other things that concern me as well on this Bass. The previous restoration of 1999 in Italy may have been slightly overdone in at least one way and underdone in several other ways, one of which I have already corrected which were the tuners and plugs in the pegbox. The Top and Back are highly arched. The Top wood seems hard, the Grain is very fine in the center but turns to slab grain in the outer flanks. This is a sign of a small tree. While the arching of the plates contribute to the sound I feel that the Bassbar is extra stiffening and not allowing the Top to 'float' properly. I will have the Top taken off and any and all corrections tonally and structurally performed. Also the back is a 3-piece with the seam about 3 inches at most from the soundpost. In time, all roundbacks bulge out from the soundpost pressure. This Back is soft Italian Oppio so it goes where it's told. The Center Brace makes it more punchy like a Flatback but without the other problems associated with them. It also spreads the sound throughout the Back better and protects the Back for over bulging from the soundpost, opening the seam in that area or splitting the Back which we have seen many old Basses with rear soundpost cracks.

So, the Martini is going in for a face-lift so to speak as well as some deserving repairs. When this work is done, it will have a new Neck graft (its first) and a first time center Back brace as well as a trimmed bassbar and some other needed work. Although I love my English Basses (and so does everyone else) I seem to be the only one that loves the Martini the most as it's not yet 100 years old which in the market place usually plays 2nd fiddle at best..

When all the work is done sometime in 2008 I will take all new pictures and have 3 pages on-line I guess. Before, 'during' (now) and after!