View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool know the wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
X Sun basses are good! Shen makes some nice basses also. I can tell a chinese bass because I have looked at a lot of chinese instruments and know the wood figure and varnish. took a look at Ken's Amati basses and they look excellent! Maybe comparable to the top model of the X Sun line.

Around here, the teacher usually suggests its time to upgrade as the player progresses, knowing that the parents are hard pressed to come up with the cashola.
How can you tell a Chinese Bass that is made with European or British Colombian wood?

My 1997 Shen is European wood. Several of my Amati models were made with wood from Canada. How would you be able to tell then? I can 'sniff' out the broad Chinese figured Maple but the Spruce tops look like everything else. New German and Romanian bass tops look about the same depending in the Varnish.

Hey, move east across Europe and then thru Russia. Don't you eventually hit China? How are the Tree species different there if the countries connect across the same continent?

Have you seen many Shen Basses made in the 800 or 1000 model series?

Ok, and thanks for the compliment on my basses. I only have towe of them left.