Thread: Restore
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Westerinen View Post
I understand. So except from the Scotch Brite your next suggestion is a total re-finish of the whole body?

Nothing I can do just to protect the bare wood and get somewhere close the same color as the rest of the bass?
The Scotch Brite is NOT your fix. Use the Scotch Brite to apply wax over the Finish IF you even have a Finish. If not, you need new Finish. I cannot tell you what the bass needs from pictures. A doctor can't tell you what pills to take or how deep to cut from pictures, you have to be there WITH the Doctor in person just like your bass would need to be in my hands to know what it needs. Even then, touching up is an Art for the expert, not the novice. Finish accounts for 25-33% of the making of an instrument.

The other thing I often think is that if you have to ask, it may be best you leave it alone and take it to someone that knows what he is doing. Doing it wrong will cost you 2-3x more the amount to fix than if left alone and given to a professional.

Do not take medical advice on the internet. Treat your bass with an ounce of the same respect. It will live longer.