View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Mike,

I would suggest getting an ATA Cat-1 Flight Case. You can either have one special made to fit the dimensions of the bass, or you can do what I did. What I did was this....

I had an ATA Cat-1 Flight Case (made by Omni-Case out of Henderson, TX.). made based on the dimensions of the Smith OHSC. This way, not only can I include the bass inside the Smith OHSC and inside the Flight Case; I can also use the Flight Case for any of my other Smith's and just about any other cased bass I would ever own. Great protection and peace-of-mind (at least as much peace-of-mind one can have dealing with any Airline)?....Absolutely the best! Also, I had the case designed with recessed heavy-duty wheels and a pull handle.

Heavy?....yes. Will it cost extra to check it?....probably. Was the Flight Case expensive?......Was your Smith Bass expensive and do you want it protected on a flight?.....duh!

An alternative may be to get a well-fitted gig bag with an attached coat hanger. I have done this where I carried the gig bag on the plane as a garment bag. Now, that's been a couple of years since I've done this, however, you might check with the Airlines and see if this is an option. The problem here is this: Depending on who you talk with at the Airline, the risk is having a run-in with some "Barny Fife" Airline Attendant that feels the power to give you a hard time about carrying it on as a garment bag.

Or, maybe you can just locate a "decent" bass (lol..) to use on the "gig-end" of your flight?

My advice....go for the Flight Case if you intend to fly much with your bass.

At any rate.....Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Michaels View Post
The only downside to it all is the fact that DON'T allow you to lock your cases any more. They want them unlocked so they can check the contents at any point... they are the reason I want to lock them. Good luck.

Yep, that is a fact and where possible, make sure you are there to see it happen.....

.....And to each and every Terrorist out there: Bend over, bow down (whatever, either/or, you choose), I have a Flight Case I want to introduce to you!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 08-02-2007 at 04:04 PM.