View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Flex. Deluxe..

I just put a new set of the new Deluxe's on my Panormo school bass. I had one of the proto-type sets before that I tried on both my Hart and Mougenot basses. I liked them on the Mougenot as soon as they went on but not on the Hart. After a few months, I switched them back over to the Hart and 'then' I liked them on better after some play-in time.

A short time ago I emailed Pirastro to see if there were any design changes between the prototype sets and the current sets now packaged for sale. They said yes, some slight changes. So I ordered a brand new set but when they came in, I didn't have a bass that needed the strings changed so they just sat in stock for a few months.

My Panormo school bass had Original Flatchromes that were over 3 years old and a Flex-Stark E/C which was put on a few months later when the extension was made. They were to my ear, not 100% of what they once were so in looking for a set to put on from the few types I have in stock, I pulled these out and put them on.

My first impression was they were slightly smoother than the 3+ year old OFCs, clear and full sounding. They are not overly thick or muddy sounding which could be a problem on a bass this size if the string promotes more of the low end of the spectrum. They bow easily of course, similar to the OFC's and Flexocors which is quite typical for Pirastro strings. In a day, week or month from now, I expect them to break in and settle little by little. Right now, they are quite lively and on a big bass that has a super sweet high register, if you can reach up there!