View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up great..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
I'm happy to report that the re-formulated Pirastro Passiones are a winner. When I recently strung up my #30 bass, I tried several different sets of strings; old and new BelCantos, Flexacore Originals and Deluxe, then the Passiones. These strings have the same ease of bowing as the BelCantos, but have a wider dynamic range and a bit less tension. I sometimes buck the trend at competitions, as it has become the norm to string up with BelCantos. Yesterday I learned that my #30 bass had won a Silver medal for Tone at the Violin Society of America maker's competition (the highest tone award) with the Passiones, so I will continue to buck when warranted. Thanks to my friend and colleague, Jay VandeKopple, for suggesting these strings for this bass.
I played that bass just before it went off to the competition. That Silver medal is LONG overdue Arnold. Thumbs UP!!

I heard that the Storioni copy you made for me (bass #24) was one decision from a Gold but as they say, 'a miss is as good as a mile'. Tone is where it's at! Workmanship judging is very subjective. I have never played a great sounding bass that I couldn't find something wrong with workmanship-wise.