View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Ok, after 2 replies...

I wanna put some info here to consider.

First off, I though TAB was a Diet soda from Coca Cola!

I am doing Beethoven's 9th this week. Can you imagine learning, playing or reading this in Tab? It's a bad way to learn as it has its limits. Like training wheels on a Bike. Like Bumpers in the gutters at the Bowling Alley. Like the extra brake and Steering wheel when you take Driving lessons. IT'S NOT REAL!!!!! It's Toy talk in my book because it is very limited. I will pay to see someone play the entire 4th movement of the 9th while reading it in TAB if it is at all possible to notate (if 'Notate' is the right term). You must not use anything else to learn it and have never played it before either. It must be played with an Orchestra and a Conductor up to Tempo and played well. Any takers?

Ok, enough of my TAB rant. Ever see a person walk into a Pizzeria and order two slices with EXTRA Cheese and a DIET soda? Who are the trying to fool?..lol, Diet soda. ......... Ok.. I'm done there.. really.. lol

Ok, serious now.. Bass Product advertising. Yes, the Magazines are full of crap with most of the reviews. They don't walk into a shop and grab one off the line and test it. They are sent one picked out to be the best of the batch and then reviewed to help the companies sales so they will buy more advertising.. Ever see a BIGGER conflict of interest before? It's like watching Politics on CNN. They know in advance the answers to the Test and THEN make up the questions to make it fit.. lol.. WHAT A JOKE!!

To the novice, magazines like Toys seem to be fun. I like pictures myself so DB Mag from the UK is good but not enough to go around. We need more REAL DB stuff. My Website has as much as a dozen issues so I end up reading my own site when I'm bored..lol

Stories about musicians are good too as long as they are 100% true and accurate. Looking accurate does not make it true all the time by the way. I have read many stories about myself and company in Magazines, the Web and Local Newspapers. The writers often try and add color altering the facts which really bugs me. One time I was called up to verify some facts and did so but when the story came out, it had other viewpoints in there as well to benefit the 'pilot fish' (they pick up scraps) that were not so true but seemed accurate and pleased the others involved as far as who did what when. So, Magazines are just Politics in Advertising. The main source of income for any media is Advertising and NOT sales. That's a cold fact and the Media does well NOT to bite the hand that feeds them!

So, how long will it be before the WEB is the main source of Equipment discovery and the magazines find a spot in the Museum of Natural History next to the other Dinosaurs?