View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Prescott School?

Don, what Bass of mine are you referring to?

Also Don, in case you didn't notice, this Thread was about whether or not to put on Extension on a Pollmann Bass that I have since sold after starting this thread.

It seems that at the 'drop of a hat'-type mention of a Low note, you chime in with your Prescott. I don't know what your Prescott or any Prescott or any 5-string Bass has to do with this subject.

I was just asking for opinions about a 3/4 Pollmann I had and should I put
another Extension on IT, that was all.

My business by the way is NOT dealing in Double Basses. It is my hobby-turned-business. I don't make a living at it. My business is the mfg. of the Ken Smith Basses (electric BGs, 4, 5, 6 and 7-strings) plus the Smith Bass strings and related items.

The DB biz was mainly started to sell off the Basses I don't play anymore while I 'climb the ladder' Bass-wise. The 'Pedigree' Prescott I owned and sold was just a stepping stone. It was a great Bass but not as good as my English and Italian Basses I acquired along the way.

The two best sounding Basses (to me) on my web list to-date are the Hart Bass and the attr. Storioni. Two other favorites are the Gilkes and Martini. The Martini is going in for some repairs up at Arnolds' and the Gilkes is in settlement stages of sale. The Martini is the most comfortable Bass for me to play next to the Storioni. The Hart with it's wider Maggini style shoulders is actually easier for me to play on despite its comfort as compared to the Martini. The Storioni is 44"+ string length and although I can play it, my fingers do feel the extra stretch after awhile.

Until the Storioni is restored (and shortened) and my Mystery Bass's restoration completed, I don't know which Bass I will call my own. For now, the best playing (restored) and best sounding Bass I have is the Hart. Being that it's an Eb neck and wider shoulders, it will take time before the comfort matches my ease of playing it. Yes, I play it well but I am more comfortable feel-wise with the Martini. Go figure...

Don, good luck with your beautiful Prescott whatever you decide to do with it. I have no interest at this time in a 5-string.