View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 08:03 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Chucky..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xybornaut View Post
Hi all,

I am new to the forum, so forgive my screen name. It is in process to be changed, per forum protocol. My real name is Terry.

My Smith is a 92 CR5. I have had it for 6 or so years. White oak over walnut core. I haven't seen one in oak before, from any builder. Not an especially flamboyant wood, but very cool if you are into understated wood.

I have a question for Ken on the bass. As you can see, under the serial number is stamped "Chucky". The seller told me he bought it at a show, and it was built *for* Chuck Rainy. Any truth to that, or shall I dash my hopes right now?

Whatever the history, its a great sounding and fun bass to play.

Terry
Yes, this was made for Chuck Rainey. Several years ago when Chuck was on tour in Europe, his ex-wife (then wife) took all his Bass he left at home and sold them as she needed some cash/money while he was away. I don't know all the details but I got this partial story directly from Chuck. He knew some of those that bought his basses 'legally' so when he needed them, he would borrow them back for recordings and such.

I bought some quartered white Oak back in 1987 to try for some basses and made only a few with it. This was the last of the 2 or 3 I made. It was also a wide spacing I think. When the saddles at the bridge have a small space between them, it's the 19mm. When they touch, it's the 18mm. The saddles are all the same size so that's how I can tell.

'Chucky' is his nick name as he told me.

This is a CR5G model, #080 in sequence and QO is the wood, quartered Oak and 92 is the year 1992. This Bass was completed for Chuck Rainey on 11/25/1992. The Bass does not have the 'G' for graphite in the # as back then, we made them all with Graphite anyway so it wasn't necessary. Now we make both the CR5 without graphite and the CR5G with the Graphite so the #s are marked accordingly.

What you have here is a piece of Ken Smith history.

Chuck was also my favorite player years before we ever met and I worked hard to imitate his style. One time while making a record for a NY singer Mercedes Hall (mother of the famous actor Anthony Michael Hall. I remember Michael when he was just a child. One new years gig, he sat in on bongos. He was so cute..lol.. A real energetic kid back then), I was really into Chuck's type of sound and approach. That night I ran into one of the backup singers that was overdubbing on the track, a disco version of Elvis's "Hurt" (this was 1975 by the way). The singer tells me that they got so into the bass line that they lost their place and had to start over again. They assumed it was Chuck Rainey on the track but they were told it was me, Ken Smith on it.. lol.. but true story. One more was back in 1982, my first meeting of Chuck after only talking on the phone with him once before about a bass. It was at the NAMM show in Atlanta and I was in my booth playing shortly before the show opened that day. Well, Chuck walks by right in the middle of my lick stealing warm up and he shouts out from an isle away "Hey, watch that s**t" (or was it 'stuff', can't recall).. lol

I was a working Pro in the NY studios Back then and Chuck I think was in LA. Some of the producers I worked for used to call him when he was in town so I guess he was just being protective. By the way, he said it with a smile on his face. We are still friends regardless of business or music. I still think his bass lines are the best ever. Chuck is also a great guy to hang with as we have had many dinners and times together.

So, now you have it. Chuck is my all time favorite Electric Bass player. Not Stanley, Jaco, Victor or any of the other acrobats. For music, my money is on Chucky!