View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
If you are looking at an instrument as a "status symbol", then most likely your playing skill-set probably doesn't match the potential behind the instrument's intended design. On the other hand, a top notch bass like a Smith can promote, encourage, or inspire one to reach and be the best they can be!

Simply put, a Smith bass is a high quality instrument and IMO, second to none. In the hands of a seasoned/skillful player it becomes an extension of the talent behind it.

I did not buy a Smith because of "The Name". I bought a Smith based on the feel, quality craftsmanship, and sound. That's it, nothing more. There just happened to be an S on the peg-head. Thank you Ken!

When I was a child, I tended to define my "self-worth" by hiding behind "status symbols". As an adult, I have put childish things behind me and the last thing I would do to myself today is allow "status symbols" to define who I am as a musician or person.

Tim as always your on point, but with one exception to the issue, "Smith" basses are looked upon as a status symbol of excellence in craftmanship by those who don't own them, but to players such as myself, I simply love the tone. Bass players that come to my place of worship begin to salavate when ever I bring out my WBT 5EG or my Tiger Wood 4, but to me it's all about the feel. Each bass player is in search for that axe that brings forth the sound that they hear within them. For me that's "Smith" (Though I must admit I love the look on their faces when they see my "Smith") Either way you look at it, intentional or not, the "Smith" Bass name carries an assumption upon the individual who plays it.