View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb TB and Paul Toenniges..

I can't post there. I was banned for telling the truth and telling off the Mod that tried to silence me.

This bass of yours and many others attributed to Paul Toenniges were actually made by Wenzle Wilfer in Germany. Imported by Paul Toenniges and re-worked by him.

How do I know? I have here a bass with a WBW/Wenzle B. Wilfer labeled "made for Paul Toenniges" and is being sold as a Paul Toenniges/Wilfer bass. This is a full sized bass but Wilfer is one of the makers that supplied basses like yours.

Some were sold to and labeled in NYC as Juzek, some as Vitale Imports and any other shop that bought basses as no one supplier could buy all that a shop could produce or with their affiliated surrounding shops.

The people on TB are miss informed much of the time. An ounce of knowledge can turn into a mountain of crap in a minute. Paul Wurburton is a friend of mine and loved the work of Paul Toenniges but also, like many other bass brads he and others lover, they didn't know the 'business' of these basses. makers, shops or brands. I studied them a little deeper with the help of 50 years of experience and now with the internet.

You are welcome to say what I said and mention my name on TB. I know what I know. If you come here with that bass, I can show you the one that Wilfer made for Paul Toenniges. I have owned many basses from several of the Wilfer family, Hofner, Framus and B.Lang I and II. Seeing is believing they say and I have seen and examined a lot of them. There are still many other ghost makers out there from the past that when you see the name as different from what you first believed, your mind takes a twist inside thinking that you didn't know it all or, was this another just seller of basses made by another.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave When first we practice to deceive!" .

lol.. but true.