View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 04:20 PM
Junior Posting Member

Thomas Barnwell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I would put this at Post War Germany, Beubenreuth (Bavaria) by possibly Wenzle Wilfer or similar shop. Also, Josef? Saumer made similar instruments in East Germany post war that are branded Saumer Morelli in the upper back BUT, not with that purfled design. Benedict Lang I in Shoenbach in the first half of the 20th century made basses like this but your bass is not that old. His son or Nephew Benedict Lang II in Mittenwald made similar basses too.

The safe bet I think would be Wenzle Wilfer c.1950-1970. If I get the chance to see the bass in person, maybe I would know more, or maybe not.

This is my old W.Wilfer with the same tuners as well. I sold it in 1974 or so to this guy. I recorded with the Glenn Miller band with it and he toured with Liza Minnelli with it. https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b0&oe=590F300D

The Tuners are probably Rubners and I have some on my 1980 Pollmann as well that have a screw in the center so same maker of basses, 1970/1980 and same gears but a decade apart.
Wow, that is great! Thanks you so much!

Best,

-Tom