View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Unhappy NY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Smith View Post
Ken, I totally understand without question why you choose not to attend NAMM, But what about Bass Day in NY this year? I was there last year for Bass Day 06 and really had a great time. The only thing I really missed seeing is a rep from Smith Basses. I spoke candidly with Micheal Tobias, as well as Mr. Fodera. Would you consider coming back to the Big Apple or sending someone from the Smith crew to exhibit and speak on the Smith Bass philosophy. There are a ton of Smith Bass fanatics here in the city that really want to own a Smith but haven't been able to afford them yet.
Bass Player Magazine runs that and I will not give them my money. I talk with NY players all the time and many come to visit. I am here on line almost every day and at the shop as well daily. I need to be in the shop getting things done and not at shows that take me away from my work or drain me mentally and physically. The other guys in the biz do what they need to do and so do I.

I did shows from 1979 to 2006 and missed only a few between those years. Shows for me today are not what they used to be. It is mainly a money maker for the Show promoters. They could care less if the exhibitors do well and often get in the way of doing business at the show. Don't get me started on that ramble, I don't have the breaks to stop!..lol

I will be glad to meet anyone in person, on the phone or on line daily. That's more than most others offer. Seeing only what one wants you to see at a Show is not the same as seeing what goes on day to day without any 'visitor prep'! You can hide a lot at a show picking only the best examples for the Booth. Walking into my set-up room and personal bench area one can see everything we have without hiding anything.

We ask that people call for an appointment so we can be available but I can't tell you how many times people just walk in unannounced and still get a Tour (If Bass related) being that they were just in the area and didn't know to call in advance. We have nothing to hide as far as our woods, wood operations, work space, Basses in progress or finished Basses. I even often pull out a Double Bass or two and play for the guests so they can see and hear a Bass that the Queen or even Beethoven may have heard 150 years ago (they just have to suffer and sit thru my playing...lol)

Can't bring that act to a show, can you now?

Also, the shows have some rules that limit what we can do. At my place, I OWN the building AND Parking Lot. FREE Parking to all visitors and plenty of good fresh Pennsylvania foods to eat nearby when your tummy calls out. It's a trip worth taking if you are the least bit serious about any aspect of the Bass at all.

Neither Tobias, Fodera or any of the other makers out there (as far as I know) made their living playing Bass (BG and DB) in NY as a top call player for any and all styles. I even did better financially then my teachers in the NY Phil as far as total earned income most good years not to mention the diversity of gigs I got to do. Can you talk 'real Bass' with any of these builder at the show or just 'file and chisel' talk? Some can't even do that because they BUY their necks and bodies and just assemble them. Many can't discuss the properties, pros and cons of lumber drying, rough lumber and waste as they usually only buy small pieces ready for cutting and trimming. While shopping for Maple Lumber awhile back one supplier (when asked for 4ft billets as a minimum because they only sold up to 2ft pieces) told me that NO ONE buys Lumber anymore for figured Maple and everyone buys pieces as needed (for the most part) and that I was the only one still buying Lumber, drying it, and cutting my own billets (as if I was doing something wrong).

If you go the the Show in NY, enjoy yourself but look over your shoulder every few seconds and keep checking for your wallet. I will be in PA getting some stuff done unless BP wants to PAY me for my appearance there and Limo me back and forth as well as feed me and cover all expenses including exhibit costs etc.

I know how this may sound to some of you but I do take my work seriously and have lost count of how many Shows I have done. I am just tired of the 'dog and pony' Hollywood attitudes you see even when meeting some of the other industry people. Talk is cheap and I have heard more than my ears can take..

Did someone say that 'Word'? (Namm? whispers it)..

What was the question again?