View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Myself, I changed from French to German when I was 17, because I started studying with a German player and also realized that the teacher I wanted to study for later on also played German. This was so early into my career that it didn't worsen my sound; on the contrary, I quickly started sounding better, because I was able to learn playing from scratch without making a habit out of my beginner's mistakes. But now when I went to Germany I realized how many small but oh so important mistakes I still do - a careful teacher is alpha and omega, at all times! I would not recommend playing another bow than your teacher. And, most players are specialized in one or the other. If you have really made up your mind about this bow business, find a teacher that suits you. And no, don't explore German all on your own. It just won't do you any real good, maybe apart from some fun.

As for the differences, well, of course there are some. But there is nothing that one bow can do that the other can't. If you can't play the E with German, you probably hold the bass too tilted towards your body, which is for another topic. If you want to encourage yourself to keep playing French, check out Francois Rabbath. He has made some DVDs which I am ashamed to admit that I don't own myself - yet! - but I understand that these are hallmarks for double bass playing and learning in general.