View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Junior Posting Member

Saul Hurtado is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rhodes View Post
Ken is right. There is no exact way to measure this. All types of variables come into play when dialing in "your" tone.

There are no specific amp settings - it is all subjective to your desired tone.

My experience has been to set my Smith bass flat, then EQ the amp to the point I like it. Next I use the EQ controls on the bass to "fine EQ" the tone if needed.

Again, these are just my observations - no scientific ****ysis of sound waves and such .

BTW: New strings seem to help a lot - I prefer Smith Burners on all my axes .
Christopher you hit right on the money! I like to do the same, set my KS flat, so it will give a neutral EQ on the electronics and let the wood do the work. Then I make adjustments to my amp's EQ, for the preferred sound of the style of music I'm playing.

I learned this technique about 12 years ago with a great bass player, he had a KS bolt on. He told me he likes to set his KS flat, let the wood work and EQ hte amp according to his taste. I've played with 2 KS basses in the past and I currently own one. Very Happy by the way! On all 3 KS basses this has worked for me.

Like you said no scientific method, I guess it just goes according to your ear and what you like.