View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Ok so ebony is out as a laminate then.

I'm picking your brain because you know these things through experience where I don't. I just like to have a bass this expensive custom tailored for me. You don't offer much leeway in your custom builds other than wood selection so I'm going custom the only place you will .. With my 4 I had you build it with a Koa core with quilted maple top/back and let you pick the laminate. You picked walnut for the laminate. (my bass sounds so nice too!)

What is your impression of the flame maple core, bubinga laminates, and claro walnut top/back. Think there would be a good enough visual contrast between the walnut and bubinga?

I have so many different ideas and not sure what would work and what wouldn't. I'm sure I want a good figured walnut top/back this time, perhaps maple laminates. What do you think would make a good core wood that would both be a good visual contrast to those 2 woods in that configuration and really reinforce the low end character of the bass while not being too heavy?

I'm really working out a configuration I plan to order from ya in a few years. My wife and I are on track to get totally out of debt in a couple of years after which we're saving up a ton of cash and splurging on something for ourselves. My splurge is going to be another new Smith =)

She's still thinking on hers.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind