View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Larsson View Post
A key, as Brian said, is to learn EXACTLY how an interval should sound. Playing with a droning note is nice because you learn where to 'place' your note, but what's probably even more important - as it is what's required of us - is to have a REALLY good idea of what a tempered scale or a perfectly pitched single interval should sound like, and here you may not have any help by that drone, as it might lead you into playing relatively in tune. Which we also have to be able to do. But there is a limit to the practical use of this kind of intonation.
I understand what you are saying Joel, but you must be able to play a half step or whole step in tune to be able to play correctly with the drone. What is understood, in my head, is that you are referencing the the tempered scale with the drone in place. Relatively in tune is what we are required to do. If you want to be "exactly" in tune then you need to practice with a chromatic tuner.

I am agreeing with you, but I think a little is lost in typing rather than talking.
BG