View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jim Rogers is on a distinguished road
Red face First time caller here...

Hi everyone, I am Jim and I have been playing bass/guitar for about 35 years. I found a bass guitar that was badly damaged and decide to repair her. I am a handy kind of guy and lots of time to work on things. The wood was very dried out, cracked in some places and missing completely in others. The entire bottum bout needed replacing. The bass had/has nails and screws holding it together. I have already removed electric tape, duct tape, masking tape, gaffing tape and scotch tape from the body. The finger board had 2 screws drilled through it and into the neck to keep it in place. I am starting to remove large amounts of layered paint from the front and back and sanding it down to the original wood.
I am leaving the neck and head piece alone as they are in good condition.
I am doing all this for my own enjoyment and hopefully I will have a decent sounding double bass when I am done. So is there anything I need to know before I go much further down this path? I see lots of pictures of the insides of double basses and they have what looks like little strips of wood glued to the iside of the body. Mine have some of these but not alot. Should I add more? How do I know where to put them? Here are some pics of what I am doing so far. I know I am a total newbie at this but some honest help would be gretly appreciated. thanks