View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb from across the room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
X Sun makes nice "Chinese workshop" basses. I have sold quite a few of their violins, cello and violas. I would rate them the best of the chinese instruments I have seen. The workmanship is excellent, finish is well executed.

They are, however still a chinese style bass and are easily identified from across the room. Not a bad thing, just a comment.
If you can tell they are Chinese from across the room then they are not all that good. I remember playing in an Orchestra several years ago when another bass pro beside me said "is that a NEW Bass?". The bass didn't have any cracks and barely any scratches or mars but didn't look like a new bass. Then when I said "yes, its a Shen, Chinese" it was almost a shock!

One day, a pro bassist from Europe was trying basses out in another shop and there to pick up a bass I was selling. I had one of my Amati Shop basses there and asked him to try it. He tried my bass and then 2 other high end Shens and said mine was much better sound wise and I agreed 100%.

On your claim Ken, the people who make Violins, Violas and Cellos are NOT the same people, team or maybe even shop in some cases that make the Basses. Even in China between shops, things get farmed out to those that specialize. Comparing Violins to Basses by label is not the whole picture. Compare the basses to basses!