View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Passione's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry McDougal View Post
Are the Passione strings a bit stiffer? What are they like for pizz?
I have only tried the regular gauge so far and they are so so soft under the fingers. They Bow so smooth and easy I just love them on all 4 basses I have used them on so far. As for Pizz, it's not a buzzy jazz type sound at all like the Spiros. Kind of like a mix of Belcantos and Flexocor 92s in a blender. More of a 92 type gauge/thickness and the tension similar or in between the Weich and regular Evahs. Not too loose unless you pound it with the bow and not tight at all. As a matter of fact, I raised my strings slightly on the two basses I have them on that I use most.

Not a Hybrid string if you want a plain jazz string. The sound is deep and shorter on the pizz with a true fundamental in tone.

For a bowing hybrid string, the Spiro weichs work well for some basses. Still, they might be a bot bright or thin sounding as compared to an orchestra bass with orchestra strings.

Guys n Gals, I want to point out that I am judging this from playing mainly older Orchestra grade basses. Some not as old but still, finer instruments in price and tone than any ply, hybrid or modern factory bass in general. If the bass you have is in that range then my findings might be different than yours. You must judge for yourself what works for your bass, your ears and your playing.