Thread: too much wood ?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Senior Posting Member

Adrian Levi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Letting the linings into the blocks on a bass is unnecessary. It is done as a way of showing off the maker's skill. As Matthew stated, a well-glued joint will usually outlast the maker. Linings are temporary. After several plate removals (for repairs or alterations) the linings deteriorate, especially on a bass. Eventually they need to be replaced. For example, when I restored Ken's former Gilkes bass, all 12 linings were replaced. Rarely does one find a very old bass with the linings intact. I personally use only two wood types for bass linings; spruce or willow.
Arnold,what size do you cut your linings?

I'm redoing all the linings due to their size and wear.I removed the top today to find that the neck and end block are not totally flush with ribbing , this has caused cracks in the top . The pics should show where the cracks are in relation the the blocks ...
This in part must have had a hand in the bass not quite sounding as I envisioned it should (at least I hope so).I know that it's not always the best idea to take back and top off simultaneously but nothing was in place really besides the blocks and ribs.
In my research I have found out the bass has been opened at least twice in the last 15 years, as well as being refinished for some reason or other.Im starting to think by looking inside the bass that it suffered water damage at some time , the end block as Ken said earlier on certainly points to the possibility.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5287.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1923  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5288.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1924