View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post
I'm still not sure about the actual playing qualities of these weichs? I owned Evah Regulars, wasn't a fan. Too thick and heavy tension for my taste. Liked the sound and feel under the fingers but abandoned them due to their high tension and lack of playability in thumb position (we're not even talkin' end of the fingerboard, these start to sound lumpy around the first G harmonic!)

Orig Flexocore is a great set but the G is noticeably brighter than the rest of the set. I think Flex 92 has the nicest sound for orchestra playing. Not sure how these Weichs compare.
The 92s and the Evah's DON"T compare, period. They are completely different strings. I had the Weichs Ext. E/C set on the Martini for a few months and just took them off. I don't think I played the Bass on any Jobs besides a big band gig but I did practice quite a bit on them before putting a new set of 92 Starks on the bass with the E/C which I have still a few left as they are not made anymore.

I played one concert on the Mougenot with the Weichs regular E, no Extension. It was mainly a Pops/Jazz thing but 'American in Paris' has some fast parts to play. I think the Strings worked fine for that venue.

The Evahs do not respond as fast as Steel when digging in and the upper notes choke a little like Gut strings or more. The flexibility actually works against them I think.

I think they are a great hybrid string for the right bass and right player. I have Belcantos on the Hart and when that set was on the Martini, I think it sounded its best as well. The Flex 92s is always a good set to go back to in my opinion. They bow great, the G is smooth and they are dark sounding with an edge under the bow.