Thread: Sonore strings
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 02:20 AM
Brian Ross

Default Sonores TWINE

Just thought I'd let folks know that I have had a set of Mr. Genssler's TWINE model strings on my bass for about 3 weeks now. They are all wound gut core strings. Not sure what the windings are - in fact they appear to be different for different strings.

First of all I'll say that dealing with Mr. Genssler has been fantastic. When I expressed interest in his strings, he searched out recordings of my playing and made recommendations to me based on what he heard and what he knew about my work. After going back and forth a few times, the TWINEs were the model he thought would be best for me, so I took the leap...

The strings are really really great. The arco sound is rich, warm and clear through the whole range of the bass. This is the first time I've used gut core strings, and I was surprised that they are quite thin (pretty similar dimension to spirocore weichs, for instance). They feel really nice under my fingers.

Pizz they are growly and have lots of sustain.

My only complaint is that arco the open strings don't want to start very cleanly. This has been improving as the strings settle in and as I get a better feel for how they respond to the bow.