View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 04:39 AM
Posting Member

Steve_M is on a distinguished road

Thats cool, but I just felt that you can still make it look wood themed without having wood used in every element. The textures can make it look a little cluttered visually. As with the gallery photos, sometimes if you have two elements that are contrasting in visual qualities, it can make either much more distinct.

The use of 'positive contrast' is used frequently by modernist architects such as Mies Van Der Rohe in furniture or built forms. Have a look at this piece of furniture as an example:

Can you see how the leather is soft, dark, textured, matt, yielding whereas the chrome tubes are hard, reflective, glossy, smooth and structural? When you put them next to one another either element becomes that much more distinctive because of its contrasting relationship with the other element. Visually it also looks very clear about what the function of each element is, because of the way in which the finishes have been chosen - that is to say its easy to tell instinctively which bit was made for touching without necessarily knowing what the purpose of the object is.

The use of positive contrast was the kind of idea I was using as the basis for my suggestion

Last edited by Steve_M; 05-20-2007 at 05:00 AM. Reason: didn't spell Rohe right!