View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Please tell us how the EVs compare to the Bel's.

They are both each company's new 'wonder' string. What say you?

I have used them both but not on the same bass.
Ken, my friend, the EVs were thick with a gut-ish sound. The pizz sound was big and strong, and I really liked it. They were 'harder' to bow and, with my German bow, it was tougher to get the E string to sound. They spent the week stretching. If they were the only strings on a desert island and I was shipwrecked, I'd be very happy to play them. My bass is new (about 6 years old) and I doubt if it has been bowed much. The EVs seemed to accenturate the strengths (and weaknesses) of different registers. The BCs are similar to Weichs, IMO (that's 'computer speak' for 'in my opinion') but very nice under the bow. I like how they speak so easily on the E and A strings. Surprisingly, on this new bass, they still have a tendency to 'squeak' once in a while. I spent a short period (a few weeks) trying to learn to sing (vocally) and this is the sound I'd like to get with my arco playing (not my voice, something nicer). I think that I get a nice singing sound with the BCs. I'll have to live with their slightly lesser pizz quality but, hey, I've got Weichs on my German plywood!