View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 12:27 AM
Posting Member

Brian Glassman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Johnson View Post
.... on my bass, they feel quite soft and comfortable under my left hand, while under my right, they feel a bit stiffer and very precise. I don't remember having that impression from any other string, and it's pretty subtle. It works out well for me, because I can dig in with the right hand as much as I want, while left is pretty much free to explore without a whole lot of tension.

Still hard to explain, obviously. The arco tone is glorious.
+1

Just got my early 20th cent. German bass back up to NJ from Miami. I decided to put my new set of EP's on that rather than the Prescott.
The German is brighter and is more in need of a louder, darker string. The already dark and lush Prescott does fine w/ Spriro Mittels w/ a Superflex G. The brighter strings counterbalance its darker sound. The rusult is robust, but clear, to-die-for pizz sound. But I do long for easier bowing lower strings.

Just put the EP's on the German taking off newish Flatchromsteels that I was experimenting with.

First impressions: Piz; Deffinately thicker, darker, 'ropier' w/ more 'thunk' and less metallic 'splank' to the start of the notes. Nice warm G sound. Less pingy than Spiros or FC's. Nicely balanced set. Definately makes this bass louder. I can see what you guys mean about the E needing to break in. There's some growl down there, but not like Spiros.
Maybe a little more work than the FC's, but I'm enjoying the volume. Could be just what the Dr. ordered for this bass.
These are my first sythetic core string of any kind and they do seem to be stretching out over this first day and getting growlier and louder when I bring them back up to pitch.

Arco; seems pretty outstanding. All the strings including the lower ones get started pretty easily. More robust and pleasantly darker than FC's. Can't help wondering what they would feel like under the bow on the Prescott.
More later.

BG __________________
-Straight ahead and strive for tone