View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Nice looking pickup/mic.. How is the feedback as compared to something like an Underwood or Shadow pickup when played at high volumes or near the amp?
Ken - most of us who are using mics with bass amps (as opposed to using the house PA) use the mic mixed with a pickup. I've used an AMT S25B mic and a Fishman Full Circle for about 2 years now. I've never, ever, had any pickup that I thought truly sounds anything like what the bass sounds like when it is recorded with a mic in the studio. By mixing the mic with the pickup, I am able to get a good "acoustic" sound in most situations Feedback will always be a problem with open mics that are near a speaker. The better mics for bass reject feedback and picking up noise like drums and cymbals, but if the volume is loud enough, they will all feedback. By mixing the mic and pickup, you can vary the relative amounts of mic and pickup according to the job you are on. One relatively quiet trio jobs, I mix in more mic and less or no pickup. When high volume is required the mic gets turned down and the pickup goes up. Even a little mic in the mix adds a great deal to the overall sound at higher volume.